Events this week
CMC hosts the launch of the Association of Irish Composers’ new concert series, The Irish Canon, with performances from Paul Roe and Liz Hilliard.
- 20 Nov, 6pm, The Contemporary Music Centre, Fishamble St
Following the launch, David Bremner performs a programme of Irish organ music as part of the series at Christ Church Cathedral, with music by Derek Bell, Anna Murray, Grainne Mulvey, Jonathan Nangle, Benedict Schlepper-Connolly, John McLachlan and Ryan Molloy.
- 20 Nov, 8pm, Christ Church Cathedral
The Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival continues this week, including a premiere of Sean Clancy‘s Neue Kraft Fühlend by the Bozzini Quartet, and Jennifer Walshe‘s Dordán by the Quiet Music Ensemble.
- 15 – 24 Nov, Huddersfield, UK
The Galway Music Residency, ConTempo Quartet presents Minus 3, a performance which brings music out of the concert hall to museum space. The concert takes place as part of the New Music::New Audiences EU Project and features Alveoles by Latvian composer Santa Ratniece with visuals by Mihai Cucu and sound by Darby Carroll.
- 23 Nov, 2.30pm, Galway City Museum
Pianist Nikolay Khozyainov performs a nationwide tour that includes Martin O’Leary‘s Blue Toccata alongside Haydn, Chopin, Rachmaninov and Liszt.
- 21 Nov, 7.30pm, St. Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda
- 22 Nov, 7.30pm, Christ Church Cathedral, Waterford
- 23 Nov, 8pm, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin
- 24 Nov, 7.30pm, Castalia Hall, Callan, Co. Kilkenny
Composer Karen Power gives a lecture about her work called ‘Cold Play‘ at UCC.
- 21 Nov, 11am, O’Riada Hall, UCC
Electronic musician and artist Robert Henke will perform Dust and give a talk on his work at the Goethe Institut.
- 21 Nov, 7pm, Goethe Institut, Merrion Sq, Dublin
New Ross celebrates the 50th anniversary of John F Kennedy with a performance of a new commemorative work by Vincent Kennedy, conducted by the composer himself.
- 22 Nov, 6.05pm, Quay Side, New Ross
The RTÉ Vanbrugh Quartet will perform Ian Wilson‘s Winter’s Edge at a lunchtime concert as part of UCC’s Fuaim series.
- 22 Nov, 1.10pm, Aula Maxima, University College Cork
Harpist and composer Anne-Marie O’Farrell will perform at a Music, Stories and Poetry night in Bray.
- 22 Nov, 8pm, Mermaid Arts Centre, Bray
The Donegal Camerata will play excerpts from John McLachlan‘s String Quartet No. 2 at the Sundays in Conwal series.
- 24 Nov, 3pm, Conwal Church, Letterkenny
Short preview video of Galway Music Residency, ConTempo Quartet’s Minus 3 event on 23 November.