New Music Dublin (NMD) is a partnership initiative of The Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon, The National Concert Hall, RTÉ Orchestras and the Contemporary Music Centre (CMC). The second festival will take place in the NCH on March 6 – 9 2014.
As part of the festival, NMD will also have a schedule of workshops, masterclasses and other events facilitated by CMC. Composers are now invited to apply to take part in the following: Jennifer Walshe Masterclasses and Collaborative sound and visual works.
Masterclasses with Jennifer Walshe
The integration of the body, movement and visual elements in music ranging from chamber works through to opera.
Irish composer Jennifer Walshe will give a talk about her work and will then work with 4 composers.
Applicants must have a minimum of a third-level qualification or equivalent experience in composition.
They will work on a piece with Jennifer Walshe that uses visual elements. The work can be a work in progress or a work that’s already been performed. There must be material to show / work with at the masterclass. This can be a piece for ensemble or one that the composer performs themselves.
To apply to take part in a masterclass please submit a 3-page PDF consisting of the following:
- Personal statement: this should be about your interest in working with theatrical and visual elements, and about the piece you want to discuss at the masterclass. You should also outline why taking part in the masterclass would be beneficial to your professional development. (1 page)
- Bio or CV (1 page)
- List of 3 links to your work online. These can be unlisted YouTube links, Dropbox folders etc. Please include a title and a short description for each link.
A maximum of 4 composers will be selected.
Further information about and examples of work by Jennifer Walshe:
- Thelma Mansfield
- Angela Sawyer, Duncan Moore, Jennifer Walshe and M.C. Schmidt at High Zero
Sound and Visual Works
This is an opportunity for composers to present sound and visual works in the National Concert Hall and Earlsfort Terrace space during New Music Dublin.
This call for submissions is open to any of the following combinations:
- Still or Moving Image and Pre-Recorded Sound (DVD format)
- Improvised image and sound (vj with live electronics etc)
- Still or Moving Image with live sound (for any live electronics the composer must be present)
All styles and genres will be considered. Duration: maximum 15 minutes, no minimum.
Project proposals should include a 3 page PDF consisting of the following:
- Project Description – This should be a detailed description of the work that will be presented. (1 page)
- Bio or CV. (1 page)
- List of 3 links to your work online. These can be YouTube links, Dropbox folders etc. Please include a title and a short description for each link.
Closing date for both submissions: Friday January 31th 2014
Update: deadline extended for Jennifer Walshe masterclass to Monday, February 10th 2014.
All applications to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org