Events This Week
David Bremner and Elizabeth Hilliard play a programme of music for voice and piano by Irish composers as part of the Association of Irish Composers’ Irish Canon series.
- 21 May, 8.30pm, Kevin Barry Room, National Concert Hall Dublin
Raymond Deane launches his memoirs, titled In My Own Light, published by Liffey Press.
- 22 May, 6.30pm, Irish Writers Centre, Dublin
Eric Sweeney‘s new opera, The Invader, with a libretto by Mark Roper, will be premiered in Waterford.
- 23 May, 8pm, Theatre Royal, Waterford
- 24 May, 8pm, Theatre Royal, Waterford
Two works by Vincent Kennedy will be performed this week: The Chronicles of Meath by the Meath Harp Ensemble, and Fanfare and Anthem by the Rathfarnham Concert Band, both conducted by Kennedy.
- 23 May, 8pm, Meath Harp Ensemble, Solstice Arts Centre, Navan
- 25 May, 3pm, Rathfarnham Concert Band, Ballyroan Parish Church, Dublin
Emma O’Halloran‘s work Physical Geography will be performed by the Loadbang ensemble in Princeton University.
- 20 May, 8pm, Princeton University, New Jersey, USA
Listen at Lilliput, curated by Laura Hyland and Judith Ring, presents a night of improvisation, music and words, with Land of If, Rob Doyle, Dave Lordan and the Kinsella/Nicholls/O’Hara trio.
- 25 May, 7.30pm, Lilliput Press, Stoneybatter, Dublin
Meet the Composer: Roy Carroll
We profile some of the composers who have been accepted for CMC representation over the last year.
Roy Carroll’s work encompasses improvisation, composition, music/choreographic collaboration and practical/experimental research. He completed the M. Phil in Music and Media Technology at Trinity College Dublin in 2001, studying composition with Donnacha Dennehy and Roger Doyle. He has received many awards and held many residencies.
His work The Insect – Music for the dance piece Magic Valley (2011) was premiered by Sandra Lolax, Maya M. Carroll and Roy Carroll in Leipzig, Germany on 25 August 2011.
Listen to this and other works on the composer’s SoundCloud page.