Handprint is a project involving the composition of six new works for piano for pianist Thérèse Fahy. Focusing on writing for smaller hands, while being no less technically and musically challenging, composers commissioned were Raymond Deane, Siobhán Cleary, Benjamin Dwyer, Gráinne Mulvey, Michael Holohan and Bill Whelan.
The works were premiered earlier this year at the New Music Dublin 2014 festival, and were recorded in September 2014 for Nova, RTÉ lyric fm’s flagship new music programme presented by Bernard Clarke. Beginning on 16 November, each of the 6 works will be broadcast each week until 21 December in the following order:
- 16 November: Siobhán Cleary – Leda and the Swan
- 23 November: Raymond Deane – Legerdemain
- 30 November: Benjamin Dwyer – Étude
- 7 December: Michael Holohan – The Forge
- 14 December: Grainne Mulvey – Calorescence
- 21 December: Bill Whelan – Waiting for Riad